Monday, December 12, 2011

From The Mother's Perspective

My name is Jessie Colada Adams and I'm Jayson's mom. I've been by Jayson side since the beginning of this journey and I think only another mother in the same situation can know exactly how I'm feeling. When I was first told that Jayson had cancer, my heart just sank.  Images of what my family went through when my sister, Joanna, was battling breast cancer flooded my mind and I kept thinking "not again...this can't be happening". This was not real.  I couldn't concentrate on what his doctor was telling me after I heard that devastating word. I remember crying, shaking my head, feeling numb and alone.  But I know I'm not alone. My family and I are very blessed to have many family and friends around the world praying for Jayson and giving us love and support. We are eternally grateful for that blessing.

As I write this, Jayson is sleeping. We are still in the hospital and he is at the end of his first session of chemotherapy. Even though this is only the first session of chemotherapy, we are beginning to see some of the early side effects of the treatment. This morning he started feeling a little nauseous and dizzy, so we'll be keeping an even closer eye on him. After chemotherapy is completed this evening, he will undergo a blood transfusion to elevate the level of hemoglobin.  He will probably be discharged sometime tomorrow if all goes well today.

I am amaze at how Jayson is handling all this.  He has never complained about all the tests and procedures that he has undergone. His attitude remains positive despite being uncertain of what the future holds.  He continues to keep smiling while knowing the difficult challenges that lie ahead. The other day, he told me he feels so spoiled by all the attention that he's been getting. I told him he wasn't being spoiled, rather, he was being loved.

I look at him differently now.  He's not just my baby boy anymore that I need to nag to get his homework done.  He's no longer just a teen that spends too much time on facebook and video games. Of course he still enjoys these things, but in my eyes, he has transformed this past week into a courageous teen with strength and a different perspective on life.

The other day I read a quote on Jayson’s facebook noted by a friend that said “don’t think of the darkness in the tunnel, think of the light at the end of that tunnel”.  The quote reminded me on what I should focus on. Right now, I do feel I'm in the dark and I don't know what's ahead.  But instead of dwelling on this, I needed to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel when Jayson overcomes this disease and becomes a living testimony of God’s love, power and mercy.

Thank you all for your prayers, love and support.  I know that this journey will be difficult and long.  I also know that there will be moments of success as well as disappointments.  We hope that you continue to walk with Jayson on this journey. God bless you all.




1 comment:

  1. This is very beautiful Ate Gigi. I felt the same feelings of when I first read the news from Jericho and thought again of my dear love Joanna and my tears seem to consume me, then I prayed to God and think what does God want from me to do in this situation? What Have I learned in attending all the bible studies recently? I understand how Jayson can see all the attention, and when you said it's "love" that's true. Sometimes in our busy worlds we may think, Oh I only get attention when i'm sick but where were these people when i was fine? In my observation I want to focus on the positive and think, Jayson is well loved , just like Joanna and God has a reason for all of this, again as a mother of two daughters I would react the same as you ate gigi. I myself felt a chill up my spine and my heart when I read and played the inspiring video. My tears went out at the same time I need to be strong for Jayson and for myself. The same thing that Joanna went through my heart pounded and pounded until this day shivers up my spine for Joanna was my very close and first childhood friend . I have learned that God puts things in your life and takes them away for reasons. Whatever His reasons are. I would read books on "why me". I observe Jayson is a delightful young person and I'm happy about his tranformation this week (his personal growth). Praise the Lord. I have faith that he will do well, and his testimony will help a lot of other children , teens who are going through some battle in their life, whether it be this cancer or something life changing. Jayson will be a good testimoy to others. I say smile, Thank the Lord.. and know that Jayson , your family and everyone are in my prayers, not only for this time , but in good times and in bad. These challenges will strengthen Jayson...and will strenghthen you too ate Gigi and your family. I'm here to cry, smile and walk this journey with you Ate Gigi(my long time ate) and with your husband family with Jayson auntie lucy uncle ruben and everyone. Love Jennifer (619) 261-2560 jenniferdacon@live.com

    ReplyDelete